The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these recommendations to help prevent a sickle cell crisis:
- Avoid alcohol or drink only very little, and don't smoke.
- Drink at least eight glasses of water every day.
- Keep illnesses and health conditions, such as a simple infection or diseases such as diabetes, treated and under control.
- Avoid stress whenever possible.
- Make time to exercise -- but moderate exercise only.
- Don't let yourself get too cold. Dress warmly in winter or when in air conditioning, and avoid swimming in cold water.
- Talk to your doctor if you snore, or if you have sleep apnea.